Thursday, May 3, 2007

- Designing my own farmer's market bag.

I've been wanting a bag that I can take with me when I go to the Farmer's Market, so I don't have to use plastic bags. Well, I haven't been able to find anything that I liked. So I decided I'm going to design my own. I've got the pattern down, and I'm in the process of knitting it up right now. This one is kind of a practice, just to see if I need to do any tweaking. One thing I am going to do is knit it on smaller needles next time. Here is the pattern as it is right now. I might have to tweak it later:

24" circular needles (I used size 15, but I think next time I'll go down to a size 13)
Yarn: Lion brand cotton, or hemp, or linen (anything worsted weight, strong and not stretchy)

CO 120

Knit 5 rows straight knitting
Join in the round, knit two rounds

Begin Pattern stitch:

Row 1: K3, pm *K2tog, YO* (repeat 27 times), pm, K6, pm, *K2tog, YO* (repeat 27 times), K3
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K3 *SKP, YO* (repeat 27 times), K6, *SKP, YO* (repeat 27 times), K3
Row 4: Purl

Repeat the Pattern stitch for desired length.

Knit 4 more rounds(120 stitches).

Last row: Place 3 stitches on holder, bind off 57 stitches in pattern. Place the next 3 stitches on holder, bind off 57 stitches in pattern.

If you used a size 15 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 13. If you used a size 13 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 11 needle. Knit for desired length (this will be one of the straps). Remember, there will be some stretching, so account for that). When done sew the strap to the opposite side of the bag.

You should have 3 stitches remaining on a stitch holder. If you used a size 15 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 13. If you used a size 13 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 11 needle. Knit for desired length (this will be one of the straps). Remember, there will be some stretching, so account for that). When done sew the strap to the opposite side of the bag.

To finish, sew the bottom of the bag closed, and you are (or should be) ready to shop!

I think to make the bottom a bit stronger, I will knit a second bottom for it, and sew it on. But we'll see. Here are some pictures of it's beginning. I really think I'll use 13's next time, as I don't like loose knitting.

Ok, this is the pattern stitch.

This is the outside of the bag. The garter stitch portion will become the handles. There is one on each side.



This is the inside of the bag. Notice the two rows of stockinette stitch. That is the two rows you knit after you join the knitting in the round.



Speaking of pictures, Charity Blanket #3 is now on it's way again!!! Here is an updated photo:

Man those KHers sure do work fast! That means it's on it's way to Maryland, and there are only 11 more knitters ahead of me.

To change the subject yet again...I got home from work today, and I found three packages waiting for me. Yup you read it right, 3! All from my Momma! Wanna see what she got me?!? Ok, I've been wanting these books SO bad.

I know bad picture, well, I wanted to get them up fast. The one on the far right is "When Darkness Falls", the conclusion of the Obsidian Trilogy, by Mercedes Lackey.

She got me two of these, different colors.



And yup, 100% Mohair yarn.

Ok, how well does my mom know me?!? Yarn and books. Since that's pretty much what I live on.....She rocks!!!

No comments: