Friday, May 11, 2007

- Nerd Knitters UNITE!

Ok, so how exciting is this?!?!?!?!?!?!? My two passions (wow, only two, hunh, I'm pretty boring), have finally come together....What are my two passions you ask? Well for those of you new to my blog I'll tell you; Yarn and Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Yup, that's right knitting and reading. Of course I can't do them both at the same time...though if I could I think I'd be in heaven.....but I digress.

How? you ask...How could yarn and Sci-Fi/Fantasy have become one?!? That doesn't seem possible you say as you scratch your head....Well IT IS possible, and here's how.

Barry and Cheryl Eldridge a couple who own a sheep farm in New Zealand have begun to sell yarn. I know, that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with my other passion....but wait, this couple's sheep are very special. No, they don't talk, fly, or have opposible thumbs. What they do have is a very unique wool. Their sheep breed are called "Stansborough Grey", and their wool was used to make the Magic Elven Cloaks for the Lord of the Rings movies.....And there it is. You too can buy yarn and make your own Elven cloak!!! How freakin' cool is that?!? Ok, but it gets even cooler, they also made some costumes for The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe!!! Ok, I think I love this yarn, and I haven't even gotten any. I one day will get some, however, I need to work down my stash a little bit....or a lot bit....but that is beside the point. The point is, there is now Sci-Fi Fantasy yarn out there for the "Nerd Knitter" or which I call myself a proud member.

Here is a link to an article in the Knitter's Review(an online weekly knitter's magazine) about the Stansborough Grey wool. If you want to check out Mr. & Mrs. Eldridge's own website, you can find it here. If you want to buy your own Magic Elven Cloak as opposed to knitting one, here is the link.

Ok, on a totally different topic, have you heard that Michael Moore, directer of Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine is under investigation by the Federal Government? Here is an article on the investigation. Apparently while filming "Sicko" (a film yet to be released) about 9/11 workers and health care, Mr. Moore traveled to Cuba. Since travel to Cuba is restricted, due to it being a communist country, Mr. Moore is now under investigation for a possible violation of the U.S. trade embargo restricting travel to Cuba. Now personally (and feel free to disagree) who cares? People travel to China all the time, uhhhh, communist country....we trade with them.....hunh. Double standard? Seriously, who gives a flying (edited for swear words) that Michael Moore traveled to Cuba to film?!? Now agree or disagree with Michael Moore's politics, but I think this is a stupid thing to waste our time and government money on.

I just got info that in CA, we are looking at cutting funding to social services yet again. People who need help are loosing out, and we're wasting man power, money, time, etc. "investigating" Michael Moore. I'd rather spend money educating our kids (brining back music programs, P.E., electives in elementary schools), providing mental health service to youth (there is a shocking lack of mental health care for minors in CA let alone the USA in general), providing health care to people in the US, keeping down the cost of colleges, providing after school programs for kids, lowering the cost of child care, oh could I go on, and on, and on.

Other people have been fined for visiting or doing business in Cuba include; Oliver Stone, the New York Yankee's, normal everyday people. Seriously, WHO CARES?

Hmmm, this must be one of my random thought days as opposed to a soley yarn/knitting day.

1 comment:

jenn said...

I need that yarn!! I must make a cloak for ren faire.
Our goverment sux! End of story.