Wednesday, May 2, 2007

- September Dawn

Well the movie September Dawn is coming out on June 22, 2007. In some respects I'm excited to see it...I'm interested in how the movie will portray the Mountain Meadow Massacre...however, I'm a bit hesitant since they threw in the love story. I know it's a touchy topic among those who know about it, (which really only seems to be the descendants and some Mormons), but come on. Does everything have to center around a love story. Have we really gotten to the point where you can't have a movie/discussion/or whatever without softening it somehow? But irregardless, I'm going to go see the movie, and I'm probably drag a friend or two along.

Between the movie and the 150th Anniversary of the Massacre coming up, my mom has been spured to do a little more research into the family history. So far what she's come up with is pretty interesting. I searched her madain name in wikipedia (yup, I was bored), and came up with..let's see, my great-great grandfather's great uncle (say that three times fast). Apparently, he was quite an interesting person. I also found out that Emberson Milum, my great-great uncle who was one of the survivors of the massacre, was a deputy sheriff in Prescot, AZ. Who knew?

I also found some stuff written by Mark Twain (yup, good 'ol Sammuel Clemmens himself) about the Mountain Meadow Massacre, you can see it here. Isn't it amazing what you can do on the internet? With a few choice phrases you can pull up family trees, read your own history, meet people you are related to four generations back, I don't even know what kind of super distant cousin she would be...my great-great grandpa, and her great-great grandpa were brothers, and the two survivors of the massacre in the family, hunh, I have no clue how the whole "cousin removed" thing goes. And I'm sure we only share like one gene in common if that, but we have the same history, how odd. Similar family stories, and she's heared family stories of my great-great, and we've heard some of her great-great. I just think that is so cool.

So if you are now totally confused, and have no idea what I am talking about, here is the link in which I introduced the topic in my blog.

No comments: