Monday, June 18, 2007

- Rant, rant, rant!!

Ok, so this is going to be a bit of a rant.


I recently came across a discussion regarding homosexuality online. It started out pleasantly enough, then degraded a bit into "sin" talk. I am always disturbed by people who profess to be Christians and yet they 'hate' those that don't live the same lifestyle.

I was raised by Christian parents, in fact my father is a priest. I was taught that "alternative lifestyles" (a term I didn't hear until I was older), were fine and dandy providing they weren't hurtful to anyone. That just because I didn't live that way didn't make it wrong, just different.

My mother had many gay friends, I had friends with one parent, friends with gay/lesbian parents, friends who lived with their grandparents, friends who lived in foster care, friends who were only children, the youngest child, the oldest, the middle, lived in blended families, some had dogs, some cats, some pet snakes. I had friends who were white, black, Indian, Asian, mixed with everything. I had friends who were on welfare, some were rich, middle class, or just plain poor. I grew up with legal immigrants, illegal immigrants, people whose family came on the Mayflower, and some who came to the USA when they were 15 or older, some were adopted. Let's see, Jewish friends, Catholic, Episcopal, Methodist, Muslim, Wiccan, Agnostic, Atheist, Lutheran, Greek Orthodox, etc........I could go on. Here's what I don't understand. If I grew up with all of these people, all of these lifestyles, differences, both physical, emotional, economic.....which is the "alternative" lifestyle?!?

I mean seriously....If I look back at my childhood, my parents, and ONE other family I grew up with were the only ones with parents who were married, had been married prior to our conception and birth, and who were our natural parents. <----This was the "alternative" to everyone and everything I saw around me. I was the freak, I was the weird one, I still am.

So why in society is that the family dynamic/life dynamic/love dynamic/sex dynamic that everyone feels is "normal and okay"? Can someone explain it to me?

Oh, wait I know.....the bible says so, right?!? And we are a bible loving country in the good old USA, right?!?

Don't get me wrong, I love the bible, it's teaching, and stories, but really?!? That's the reasoning? Doesn't it also say not to eat pork? But on T.V. it says pork is the other white meat. Every Christian church function I've gone to has pork products. Doesn't the bible also say to rest on the Sabbath? But come on all the best sales are on the weekends! Hmmm, what else does the bible say to do that we as "Christians" don't follow. Why is it that we get to pick and choose what we want to believe in the bible, then we point to it as our moral compass, when we as a people, religious group, don't follow all of it's tenants?

But then it also says to love our neighbor, to turn the other cheek, and to do unto others.....but then we often choose to disregard those teachings too. Why do we choose the negative to live by rather than the positive? How can a Christian person say, "I hate the sin but love the sinner", there should be no hate.

How can you hate someone for loving someone else?!? Shouldn't we embrace any love? Shouldn't we celebrate positive feelings in this world? I just don't understand how you can hate/dislike someone for who they have sex with. Why? I want someone to explain this to me without the excuse of "because the bible says so". The bible says a LOT of things that you don't follow, how did you come to the conclusion that THAT particular issue is the one you should grab onto?

Personally, if you love someone, and that someone loves you back, the RIGHT ON! GOOD FOR YOU! Why is that my business or my concern?

I see things day in and day out at my job that baffle the mind and would assault the sensibilities of anyone in the "general public". Then I go home, surf the net, watch t.v. try to escape, and what do I see? The "normal" people, the "Christian" people who are bagging on others, spreading hatred and discontent. People who are trying to divide, who think their way is the only way, who say they are Americans and Christians, yet they want everyone to live their way, because obviously that is the "correct" way.

It's getting to the point that I go to work to escape from the "real world". Because at least there, I know who I'm dealing with, I know what I'm getting. And the people I work with know that they aren't perfect, know that there are different ways of living that are good, and just. Don't hate me because I'm different than they are.

6 comments:

gaga said...

Wow. Well said. I think you must be my sister. I had the opportunity to live for a year in a Buddhist country (after living for 15 years in the Bible Belt deep south U-S-of-God-fearing-A) and while I considered myself an awakened sort before that I became really awakened while there. Here in predominately Christian America I am afraid to have my windows open even while I am home (historic village of 2500 people). In Japan I could walk down the streets of Tokyo (historic teeming metropolis of, oh, lets say 32,000,000 people give or take) by myself after midnight with my laptop and 10000 yen bills hanging out of my back pocket and I never felt a moment of fear. If "Christian" is a moral and ethical code I have to say Buddhists are far more Christian than about 98% of the Christians I have met. I was different looking, different-acting, and never felt more welcome anywhere in my life because I was accepted for who and what I am.

What sickened me the most was an experience at work about 5 months after I returned. I drove to a monastery about 20 minutes away because they do bonsai. Monday at lunch a very very "Christian" co-worker (who is also coincidentally the worst and most vicious gossip in the office) asked me about my weekend and I told her about going to the monastery. She asked me what a monastery was (she is 41 and has a college degree). I told her it was a commune of Catholic monks who take a vow of chastity and poverty and devote their lives to prayer. Her words (verbatim) were: "Hmmm. Catholic. Is that anything like Christian?"

Enough said.

MissTL said...

Great post hon... I didn't see the post you're talking about, but I did see the reprocussions.

Live and let live!

Love your Wiccan, bisexual, happily married to a man with a newborn, knitting sister!

:D

letah75 said...

Thanks for the comments!

Is Catholic like Christian...snort! I've been asked if Episcopal is like Christian too! :-)

And yes my bisexual, wiccan, mommie, knitting sister is super cool!

jenn said...

I am wiccan, bisexual, a mother, a wife, a daughter of parents whom are still married. I am also adopted,a pot head and horror of all horrors fat!

I went to a cathloic school and also public school.

People are diffrent thank Goddess for that. I have friends from every walk of life and some that walk a path not yet seen. Love and peace. Hug your friends and your enemies.
Say something nice about someone you dont really like. You can change the world. All you have to do is try!!!!

Signed,
The Heathens in #2

letah75 said...

Here is a response from a co-worker:

Well the answer to that is just religious fanaticism. We should all just pick one religion and make that our religion and follow it to a T. And anyone who says different will just have to die. Sound good?

Well spoken letah... er well written.

However if we do pick a religion I pick a blend between Mormonism and Buddhism. That way I can have a bunch of wives who listen to everything I say and think that sleeping with me gets them closer and closer to heaven. However Buddhism would reinforce the fact that reaching enlightenment is the point of life. I would most likely reach enlightenment by playing video games and eating cheese fries.


Here is another response from a co-worker:

that's awesome! I think you should have this published!

Johnny Boy said...

Hey, stranger! I'm one of those people your parents didn't warn you about! In fact, you know me! (meanderingjohn.blogspot.com) I even closed your finger in the car door...

Now, Biblically, you probably have the Mosaic right to close my finger in a car door. I think we've gone past all that now.

Have you seen the justification for "the spoiler"? Someone who seems to have the writing style of a non-native speaker of English has released certain information about a book to be released VERY soon based on the writings about the dangers posed by "NeoPaganism" to youth as described by Pope Benedict XVI, formerly Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. What is "NeoPaganism" in a book and how is it different from a lion, witch, and wardrobe in another book? (Rowling versus C.S. Lewis)

The tone of the message I quoted shows me that people are getting more polarized every day. Europeans are reacting to difficulties in assimilating immigrants (the difficulties probably go both ways), Americans are strongly divided on the status of undocumented workers, and the owner of Starbucks has the audacity to not close every one of his stores in Saudi Arabia after learning that they are segregated by sex (as reported by a female Wall Street Journal who went out for a cup of coffee).

Oh, don't get me started either. All I seem to do is come up with questions. And the only question that seems to jump back at me is "what good thing did I do for someone else today?"

It's good to see you're around. I'm in touch with folks, and I wish you well.

One question: why knitting? In the community I work, all the handwork is crochet, not knitting. I've had to adapt my buying habits for the place I work to get crochet books rather than two-needle books.