Monday, July 23, 2007

- Been a while

Ok, I know it's been a while (a long while) since I posted, but I'm gonna try to be better. Unfortuanately, the new Harry Potter book just landed in my mail box. :-)

So I was watching Knitty Gritty today and they had the best episode today! Here is a link to today's show. It was all about knitting with yarn that is all natural but not made of wool! Everything from soy, to corn, to hemp, to seaweed. How freakin' cool is that?!?

The yarns they talked about are:

Corn yarn: SWTC/Amaizing #159 (Blue)
Soy yarn: SWT/Pure #073 (Vivid Viola)
Tencel: Suss Designs Yarns/Love #10b (Taupe)
Bamboo: Classic Elite/BamBoo #4920 (Citrine)
Cotton/Lycra: Blue Moon Fiber Arts/Sock Candy (Lapis)
Cotton/Acrylic Microfiber: Rowan/Calmer #477 (Blush)
Cotton/milk fiber: SWTC/Vickie Howell's Collection Craft (Martha)
Pure Cotton: Blue Sky/Dyed Cotton (Dark Brown)
Linen: Louet/Euroflax Geneva (Grape)
Hemp: Hemp for Knitting/Allhemp 6 (Sprout)
Silk: Handmaiden/Silken (Ocean)

Now I don't have a wool allergy, but some people do. Up until recently they were pretty much stuck knitting with acrylic, alpaca, silk, linen, cotton. But many of these options have been really expensive to use.

But according to the show, all of these yarns are made from leftovers. The food is made, then they use what is left to make the yarn. The colors are absolutely beautiful, and they seem really cool. I've used soy and hemp, oh and bamboo (which I love, BTW). I really want to try the corn yarn. That just seems too cool.

South West Trading Company
Suss Design
Classic Elite Yarn
Rowan Yarn
Blue Sky Alpaca
Louet Yarn
Knitter's Review <-- this is a good site, this particular link is a review of corn yarn.
Lana Knits

I think it is just so very neat that there are so many different types of yarn on the market now. Sometimes I think I should have been born in another time....then I realize. I HATE Red Heart acrylic yarn, and I'm glad I was born when I was. :-)

Oh, and if you are into these types of yarns, the book No Sheep for You is one you ought to check out! The link is for Knit Picks, a great site online for natural yarns at a good price. Now if they'd just get some soy, hemp and seaweed yarn, all would be right in this knitter's world.

No comments: