Monday, October 15, 2007

- Knitting versus Crochet

I've found that knitters and crocheters are often at odds. Well maybe that's a bit reaching, but there are very definitely a lot of knitters who "DON'T crochet" and a lot of crocheters who "DON'T knit", and are very serious about not doing the other.

I don't understand that. Knitting and crocheting have a lot in common, they do for sure have their differences, but I've found a definite craft snobbery on both sides. I've found it to be quite uncommon for people to practice both crafts, and I'm curious as to why?

I've heard/read reasons from "______ is easier" or "______ takes more time" and I don't get it. Right now I'm enjoying crocheting. I'm more comfortable knitting because I've been doing it for quite a while, and I enjoy it more.....but then I'm just starting to crochet, and have A LOT to learn still. I want to become proficient/comfortable/enjoy both crafts. What is it that makes people get kind of uptight about it.

I've been asked by many a layperson (HA, Knitting Layperson!, HA) "Are you crocheting?" when in fact I'm knitting and vise versa. I don't get upset or annoyed. Neither do others I know who knit or crochet. But when another person who participates in a "fiber art" asks a knitter "Do you crochet too?" or a asks a crocheter "Do you knit too?", I've seen some interesting, if not rude responses.

I just find it fascinating.

On the personal side, BF got a job and likes it. Woo Hoo!

1 comment:

Marigold said...

I've heard about this, but not actually seen it in person. I knit and crochet both, and I just think that they are good for seperate things. Crochet is much easier to make stuffed animals with, and I love crochet doilies. But knitting works best for garments, and that's what I'm mostly doing these days.
Anyway, kudos to you for learning to crochet!